You are here
Principal Material Scientist
Principal Material Scientist - Sligo
Global Market Leader
About Our Client
Trojan Battery is the world's leading manufacturer of deep-cycle batteries and a battery technology pioneer, having built the first deep-cycle golf car battery in 1952. Trojan batteries provide power for a wide variety of applications that require deep-cycle battery performance, including aerial work platform, floor cleaning equipment, golf and utility vehicles, marine/RV, material handling, oil/gas and renewable energy.
Founded in 1925, the company is ISO 9001:2008 certified with U.S.-based operations in California and Georgia. The company also maintains two of the largest and most extensive research and development centres in North America dedicated to engineering new and advanced battery technology. For more information on Trojan Battery, visit www.trojanbattery.com.
Trojan Battery Ireland focuses on the R&D of advanced material additives, fundamental electrochemistry and other innovative technologies which will play a role in the continued advancement of Trojan batteries. These developments will enhance Trojan's battery offerings for its foundational and emerging market segments. In addition, the Advanced Materials Centre enables Trojan to introduce ground-breaking advancements in deep-cycle battery technology more quickly.
The successful candidate will have the following responsibilities:
- Responsible for developing innovative materials and combinations of materials that may be patented and provide a competitive market advantage.
- Responsible for the performance evaluation of new materials or new battery technology and architectures throughout the TBC development process from proof-of-concept to qualification.
- Responsible for developing and validating new or existing analytical/testing methods on materials associated with product development, manufacturing process and application issues.
- Responsible for documentation of activities in laboratory notebook, equipment logbooks, test procedures, material specifications, etc.
- Proactively responds to issues related to materials quality or the characterisation process and initiates resolution
- Work closely with the Advanced Material Development Team to develop world class materials and processes which enhance the leading position of Trojan's battery technology in energy storage solutions.
- Work to improve current materials and develop future materials and processes by collaborating suppliers, research institutes and strategic partners.
- Support the needs of internal and external customers and suppliers as required.
- Travel to manufacturing facilities, strategic partners and suppliers is expected.
Possibility to assume a supervisory role in the future.
The Successful Applicant
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following background:
- Knowledge of operational principles of chemical laboratory instrumentation and techniques relating to existing and advanced battery technology is required.
- Knowledge of and experience with instruments for characterising polymer (or organic compound) materials is desired.
- Excellent materials characterisation skills with an interest and demonstrated ability to develop materials and integrate those materials into various products aimed at a production environment.
- Excellent writing and interpersonal skills are needed. Ability to work effectively in team oriented projects in a multi-project environment is required.
- Must be able to prioritise tasks and responsibilities so that assigned duties are predictably completed under pressures of time , budget and other resource constraints
- Track record of innovation and high level of scientific creativity is a must.
- Self-motivated, organised, systematic and efficient work style.
- Team oriented; willing to share and work with others.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- 7+ years of experience in battery technology R&D with an emphasis on material development and characterisation. Direct experience in advanced polymer separator material is a strong plus.
- Must have a MS degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, material science/engineering or related fields. Ph.D. degree is preferred.
- Experience in the lead-acid battery field preferred but not a requirement.
What's on Offer
Trojan Battery Company are offering a competitive package including lots of flexible benefits to the successful candidate. Please contact Simon Ganter for more detail.